Thursday, July 21, 2011

How About Some 'Me Time'

Photo: pxleyes.com

by Zoe Mendez, Writer for Woman to Woman Blog Talk

How about some 'me time'? Is that too much to ask? Is it selfish thinking? Not.

Ladies, if I had a dollar for every time I heard one of you suggest that you have no time to take care of yourself, I would be a rich. It's time for you to stop this nonsense and recognize that YOU are also the most important person in your life. In her Life, Love and Inspiration, Delina Cummings wrote: “You are the M.I.P, the most important person—number one. Treat yourself with due excellence....Never settling for mediocrity.”

Some of you get so caught up in taking care of family, husband, children, and others that you forget that there is also "YOU" who deserve, just like others, some tender loving care. Come on, when was the last time you had some "me time"? Are you aware that you deserve some of that, and then some? When was the last time you did something nice for yourself? I am not talking about your weekly or fortnightly scheduled visits to your hair stylist or nail technician, or the occasional purchase of a new dress or shoes. Some of you don't even do that; if ever, the times are far and few.

My intention is not to scold you, but now that I have captured your attention, let me break it down for you.

You deserve some me time, not just to nurture your body, but your mind and spirit as well. Spiritual me time or keeping your spirit sweet (as I like to call it) can consist of many acts, from spending time reading your bible or an inspirational book, to listening to worship/gospel music or your favourite motivational/inspirational speaker, to taking time out for meditation. You can find a quiet space in your home to sit quietly to get focused and centred to connect with your inner knowing. Believe me, God is always talking, you have to take the time to develop the art of listening. There, in the stillness of your heart, you can find peace, wisdom, joy, strength, order, direction....These are all of the things you miss because you are too busy or caught up in your day-to-day challenges. A cool early morning or evening walk can also revive your spirit.

Don't underestimate that small window of time that you may use to comb your hair and apply your makeup. Turn it into your ritual of nurturing your hair, face and body. I spend at least 20-30 minutes on my face every day. Don't freak out. I know it sounds like a lot, but it is not. Plan your day carefully, and that time can be yours. I use the time to get centred, asking for guidance and direction for my tasks and the unseen challenges, which I may encounter during the day. My over all get-ready time takes me about forty-five minutes to an hour, and on special occasions an hour and half, once I plan carefully. Included in my bath routine is my cleansing ritual for my face, done during my shower, body is moisturized from face to toes, makeup is done, etc.

I broke it down because I want you to recognize that you don't need extra time to take care of your skin. Whatever you choose to do regarding your skin care routine can be included into your bath routine. Your skin would be grateful in years to come. Clean healthy looking skin enhances your self-image which adds to your self-confidence. Stop wishing that you had nice skin and start taking care of what you have, the results would amaze you. Over all, taking me time helps me to feel more focused and centred. I feel flustered if I have to rush around like a chicken without a head. I do the same thing at nights, it does not matter how late it is or how tired I am; I take the time to unwind, remove all my makeup, and take a nice long shower. I use water to start the relaxing process before climbing into bed. Water is very soothing and has a calming effect on the mind and body.

There is of course the luxurious pampering received from a day at the spa. I received a birthday treat from a friend; I spent an entire day getting pampered, head to toes. It started with another shower, some time spent in the sauna, then a facial, a total body massage, and ended with a pedicure and manicure - heavenly. Six hours later I was in a state of euphoria. I literally felt like a new person.

For the times when going to a spa is out of reach financially there are lots of at-home methods of pampering and relaxation that can be used to achieve just about the same result. As you develop a relationship with yourself, you will become aware of the things that will work for you that would result in the peace and serenity that you silently crave and need. Your well-being needs this more than you know. I know as women we love our family, but everything is right about you spending time a way from them to recharge your batteries. A few hours a week or every other week would do wonders for your relationships. A happy centred mommy equals a happy family.

Get conscious that from time to time you will need to come up for some air, take some ME TIME whatever it is that makes you, aaaah!, in satisfaction.

Do you take time off to do you? What other things can we do to take care of ourselves? Comment below.

All rights reserved.
 
Disclaimer: The idea, views, suggestions and opinions of other writers/contributors of Woman to Woman Blog Talk do not necessarily represent the views of the Administrator of this site. Administrator cannot be held responsible for independent ideas, views, suggestions and opinions of others.
 
Note our Terms of Use

No comments:

Post a Comment